Bell peppers stuffed with awesome sauce!
Would you like to know something about me? As a kid I absolutely loathed green bell peppers. If they were in the room, cooked on a pizza or worst of all…stuffed with meat and rice, I would have a melt-down. “They stink! I hate them…they ruin everything!!” I would scream and cry….even then I was passionate about food. Needless to say I would never eat them.
I had a period of time when I was 18 where I quit eating pork, it was my pre-kosher phase. It was during this time that my best friend invited me over for family dinner, never one to turn down an offer for dinner, I accepted and when I arrived the house smelled wonderful! My taste buds were tantalized and I looked forward to whatever scrumptious dinner was being served. We sat at the table, laughing and socializing as only 18 year old girls can, and I asked the question, “What’s for dinner? It smells awesome!”
Beth replied, “Pork Chops.”
I realized at that moment I had two choices, eat the pork or admit that I no longer ate pork for semi-religious reasons. So, I very apologetically announced, “I am so sorry. I can’t eat pork chops.”
Beth, being the ever gracious hostess, apologized profusely. “That’s right. I’m so sorry, Kel. I forgot. I’ll make you something else for dinner.” She really was a best friend, and that moment made me feel really well loved.
When dinner was served, everyone was enjoying their porkchops and Beth presented me with my special personal plate. A garden fresh green bell pepper….stuffed with tuna salad. “I picked it from the garden!” she beamed. I nearly died, and I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I loathed green peppers, not after declining the pork chops. So I did what any burgeoning foodie would do. I ate it. Every last bite and it, and I complimented and thanked my chef, and you know what happened? I grew to love bell peppers.
The lesson here. Confront your food fears friends. You never know what untold joy lie in a freshly picked green bell pepper.
I will admit that I still prefer red peppers and that brings us to tonight’s creation: Bell Peppers Stuffed with Awesome Sauce!
Bell Peppers Stuffed with Awesome Sauce!
2 tsp dijon mustard
3 Bell Peppers, red, green, yellow or purple! Halved (length way)
1/2 onion finely diced
1 carrot grated
1 zucchini grated
2 cups baby kale or spinach
3-5 cloves of garlic chopped
1 lb ground pork (mine was italian spiced)
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 jar tomato sauce: I used Mezzetta Roasted Garlic and it was delicious!! It also has no junk in it! Normally I make my own sauce…but I was feeling lazy and this looked delicious!
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In large saute pan heat 1T olive oil. Add onion and garlic and sweat for a few minutes.
2. Add zucchini, carrots and kale (or spinach). Cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add mustard. Add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce/pasta sauce.
4. Dump 1/2 of the AWESOME sauce into a bowl. Reserve the rest of the awesome sauce for plating! Add ground meats & 1 raw egg. Mix it all together until fully incorporated. I use my hands because I like the feeling of squishing meat! (I accept that I am a weirdo!)
5. Evenly distribute meaty goodness into halved stuffed peppers. Bake at 375 for approx 45 minutes, or until meat is done cooking (internal temperature of 160*).
6. Remove from oven, spoon tomato/pasta sauce on topof peppers and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake another 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
7. Serve bell peppers on top of a little bed of Awesome Sauce.